Monday, April 18, 2011

Baby Product Review - Wubbanub Pacifiers

**I have not been paid or in any other way incentivized for this review.  These opinions are my own**
Weekend Bloggy Reading  I've linked up with Amanda over at Serenity Now for the weekend blog party read!!  Hop over and join in on the fun:)
Addie and her duck
Addie has been a paci baby almost from the start.  We learned in our parenting classes that we should not introduce the paci until they were at least 4 weeks old to prevent any kind of nipple confusion if we were breastfeeding and so, the hubs and I requested the hospital staff not give her a paci and outside of some I received at a shower, didn't have any in our house.  We quickly realized though, if we wanted to get any sleep at all, we were going to have to give Addie the paci and she loved it from day 1.  So, we caved about 1 week in and only had one bad BF experience (which I still don't know if it was the paci or just a coincidence) and after that, it was smooth rolling.  So, at Starbucks one morning after S and I had been up almost every 2 hours returning the paci to our dear darlings mouth so she could sleep, Lis introduced us to the wubbanub.  I was in total awe - how could I have missed that in everything baby I had been looking at for the past 11 months??  I immediately went home and ordered a few and its been bliss ever since!


Product name: Wubbanub Pacifier

Price: $9.99 at Babies R Us

Gender: neutral

Easy to clean: Yes and No.  The stuffed animal on the end is easy to clean by just throwing it through the wash.  But, then you have to clean the paci end, and of course, because of the stuffed animal, you can't sterilize:(

Success or Failure: Huge success!!

Age she started using it: 6 weeks

Age she stopped using it: Still going strong at 6 1/2 months

Pros:  Addie seriously adores these little pacis.  She gets so excited about them, and has to have hers before she goes to bed at night.  I love that they have the stuffed animal on the end for a couple of reasons:
* Once Addie gained control of her hands she no longer needs us to give her the paci back in the middle  of the night because she can always find the stuffed animal
* Due to their size, they don't easily fall out of the crib and they are hard to lose and easy to find in a diaper bag
* It provides that "security" feel because she can hold onto and pull the stuffed animal against her chest
* It's so darn cute to see her with what looks like a stuffed animal hanging out of her mouth 
* Some mornings I find her awake and playing with the stuffed animal in her crib.
Prior to purchasing the wubbanubs, we lost pacis ALL.THE.TIME and those things start to add up.  These obviously cost way more than a normal paci but I'm pretty sure we've made our money back.

Cons:  Like I noted above, you can't really sterilize these things like I'd like to and they are much easier to throw across the room with the stuffed animal on the end.  In hind sight, we may have waited until Addie was about 2 or 3 months to start using them - it may have been a little early at first.  But, from the beginning she has loved the stuffed animal.

Other info:  These pacis come in all different kinds of stuffed animals.  We have two ducks (go figure, right:)) and two elephants but they are all adorable.  It is a soothie paci on the end so if you're baby isn't a fan of that type of paci, this probably won't be a good fit.  Also, I'm VERY sensitive to the SIDS issue (scares me to death) and Addie doesn't have any extras in her crib.  But, pacifiers are shown to reduce the risk of SIDS and the stuffed animal, in my opinion, isn't big enough that she could smother her face in it. So, we're ok with putting her down with it at night, although I did have some reservations at first.

Would I buy again or buy for a friend? Yes - we love these and thankfully because they are so big we have managed to not lose any of the 4 we bought when Addie was 6 weeks old.  They also make adorable shower gifts!


J

9 comments:

Traci said...

I saw these on someone's blog before we had Hadley and wanted to get one and I just never did. Hadley gave up her paci around 2 months but if she still liked it I would for sure get some of these.

Samantha said...

These are too cute! Although Gwen puts EVERYTHING in her mouth right now, pacis aren't one of them :( I definitely am going to buy these for some expectant friends of mine. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I have seen other babies have these and had no idea what they were. I had no clue about these adorable little pacis. I will add them to my shower gift ideas.

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

Those are sooo cute! I've never seen them before! We started E on the paci early too with no issues.

Beach Bum & Baby said...

Love this post!! I know how much A looooves her wubbanubs!!! :)

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Too funny! Wyatt has a few too that friends gave us as a shower gift, but they weren't the first paci we introduced, so they aren't his go-to pacifiers. They are more toys I guess.

We went through the same thing with the fretting "the classes say no pacis due to nipple confusion" and I cried making the decision that first week to go ahead and try it. I'll blame the hormones.

And oh it was such a great decision!

Megan said...

I've heard these are great....but my little one is so picky about her paci's. These are so cute though!

And I'm your newest follower :)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

Great product review. :) Thanks for sharing!

Life In The Thrifty Lane said...

Never saw them before, they are super adorable! Visiting from Amanda's party