Friday, April 29, 2011

Zumba for the first time

As I posted about here, I am trying to shed the pounds I put on not only when I was pregnant but really even before that.  I came across some pics of myself the other day from before my wedding and almost lost it - what has happened to me??  I was always so conscious before of my physical well-being and somehow I've managed to lose all sight of that in the past few years.  So..I'm desperate to find the right work-out and diet regimen to not only shed the pounds but to keep them gone.  Counting my steps with the pedometer is definitely a step in the right direction but I need more!

Last week my dear friend Lis invited me to join her for a class at her gym so we poured over the class schedule and picked out a Zumba class that we had both heard great things about.  For those of you that have never attended one of these classes, Zumba is designed to be a latin-inspired dance fitness party.  And for the most part it was...the music was fun and fast-paced and definitely latin-inspired.  The work-out ranged from step aerobics to salsa dancing to club grinding to skipping in a circle (not kidding).  One minute I felt like I was auditioning for a strip club and the next I thought I was a kid on the play ground.  To top it all off, the cool down was very yoga-esque.  But, I'll be honest - I really enjoyed myself and it definitely got my heart rate up so I know I burned some serious calories!!  I'm very sore but the work-out didn't drop me to my knees and I was able to finish the class so I felt great about my first trip back to the gym.  The dance steps are fast paced and so I'm sure that the more you go and learn the steps and the rhythm of the class the more you enjoy it and the better your results.  I'm definitely interested in going back as there is nothing better than having some fun and burning some calories too!   I really do recommend taking a Zumba class if you can and I think it helps if you have a friend that will go with you.  I can't even count the number of times Lis and I looked at each other with a shot of relief that both of us were totally out of step!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

I too need to shed these last 5-7 lbs. I am so sick of them! I have been wanting to take a Zumba class for the longest time. Glad you girls had fun! Wish I could have joined :)

Lindsey said...

I was never one to focus on my weight. I maintained, was active, etc. Now that I have had a baby? My how my body has changed! Not necessarily extra weight hanging around, just different in areas now. I recently did a 6 week boot camp class going 4 times a week. However, 5 PM isn't the most ideal time to be working out. It is hard juggling work, husband, baby, and grad school.

Melissa at Tall Blonde Blog said...

Sounds fun! I was always very curious about that. I'm not an aerobic class kinda girl. Might have to try it! Glad you had fun! Have a great weekend!

Tami said...

I've always wanted to try Zumba. It's definitely on my list of post-pregnancy workouts to try!

Joeylee said...

thats awesome. its always nice to have someone to work out with and when your having fun it makes you want to work out more. My mom takes Zumba classes and she really likes it, I've never tried it.

Carole Morris said...

Good for you!! I tried Zumba once and it totally kicked my booty. I decided to stick to my yoga and treadmill. Maybe Zumba is in my future but not any time soon.

Megan said...

I know a lot of people who love zumba and I have no doubt that it's a great workout! I think it would be a lot more enjoyable than something like running...but I also know my dance "skills" leave something to be desired, so I don't know if it would be the class for me.

Anonymous said...

i want to try it soooo bad!