Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Summer Bruschetta

Today I'm sharing my summer bruschetta recipe - this is a summer favorite of mine and is best with tomatoes right out of the garden - I'm pretty sure I could just eat this stuff morning, noon, and night!  There is no exact science to it and it's fun to add different things as you go!  The tomato mixture is great on toast points in the oven (bruschetta), as a dip (like salsa), mixed together with croutons for a light salad, on top of chicken, or even mixed in with some pasta.  It's great to eat as soon as you've finished making it but also has a great flavor after spending a few days in the fridge and letting the flavors "merry."  So - here are the main ingredients I use to put it together - super easy, super fast, and did I mention its also super delish:) 
Serving Size: 6 for an appetizer

Prep Time: 20 minutes

Bake Time: 10 minutes or until edges of bread are golden brown and cheese is melted

Ingredients:
* 1 cup of fresh, diced tomatoes (I use whatever has the most flavor - right now its cherry tomatoes)
* 2 tbsp Basil
* 1 tbsp olive oil
* 1/2 tsp salt
* 1/2 tsp black pepper
* 1/2 french baguette

Optional:
* 1 tsp balsalmic vinegar
* 1/4 cup of diced onions
* 1 garlic clove
* 1/3 cup fresh mozarella

Directions:
* Preheat oven to 375 F.
* Dice the tomatoes and place in bowl - add salt and pepper.
* Wash basil leaves well and roll into a tight roll and cut length wise to make nice even sized slivers.  Add to tomato mix and add olive oil.  Mix well together and if desired add balsalmic vinegar, diced onions, or garlic (you don't have to add all - pick those you like and go with that).  Let set for at least 20 minutes.
*Slice french baguette into small rounds and drizzle with olive oil.  Place on a baking sheet cover each piece with mozarella cheese(optional).  Add the tomato mixture to the top of each piece and bake for about 10 minutes or until edges are golden brown and cheese is melted.  If you are planning to offer the tomato mixture as a dip, bake the french baguette slices in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until golden brown and serve with the tomato mixture.

**As I mentioned above - this is also great as a topping on grilled or baked chicken or tossed in with some pasta and a little more olive oil.  You can also chop up some ciabata bread and bake to make your own croutons...add this mix and some seedless cucumbers and ta da....you have a panzella bread salad.**

Enjoy!

J

16 comments:

Melissa at Tall Blonde Blog said...

OK, now I'm hungry...looks delicious!

Love the Decor! said...

I love bruchetta and this looks yummy!!

Cara S. said...

looks so good, and nice and light for summer! Good app to bring to a BBQ or to a party! I need check out this link up for more ideas!!

Beach Bum & Baby said...

Yay!! I'm so glad you posted this - it's SO good!!

Cole said...

That looks soooooo good!

Anonymous said...

That looks amazing! I LOVE Bruschetta and until now I never knew how to cut Basil! ha!

Raven said...

seriously, seriously?? I LOOOOOOOOOVE bruschetta! and this recipe? to die for. So making it. THANKS A LOT FOR MAKING MY BIKINI GOAL A DISASTER!!!

Jaime said...

These look sooo good!

Thanks for stopping by PJ's Pastry Shoppe!

Unknown said...

I love brushetta. This looks too good not to make.

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Will be bookmarking this!

Paula@SweetPea said...

This looks great! We would enjoy this as an appetizer or even as a light summer meal.

Melissa said...

Looks delicious! My "recipe" is similar--I put that word in quotes because I just wing it--but always with garlic. We also like to make the tomato salad and have it as a side dish, especially with red meats like burgers.

Stopping by from Amanda's party. Have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

So beautiful! And for the record, my stomach just growled so loud that the person 3 cubicles away is now staring at me.

Thanks for that...hehe!

Visiting from Amanda's Linky Party.

Dawn said...

i'm saving this recipe for summer! sound yummy! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Yummy! Came via Amanda's blog.

I've bookmarked this recipe to try out tomorrow.

Thanks for posting (oh and congrats on your 6 month old daughter!!!)

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

This looked so yummy that I featured it yesterday. :) Great recipe!

Thanks for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party! Hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now again soon. :)