Tuesday, July 24, 2012
mmm mmm GOOD
It's been a LONG while since I've shared some recipe favorites but...I have to share this one. My hubs (who is not particularly a "casserole lover") really enjoyed this one and so did Addie...needless to say it was a family favorite and mom-friendly too - super easy to make and the prep work can be done ahead!!
Recipe: Texas Ranch Chicken Casserole (courtesy of Pinterest)
* 1 large onion finely chopped
* 2 celery ribs finely chopped
* 1 medium green pepper finely chopped
* 1 medium sweet red pepper finely chopped
* 1 tbsp of canola oil
* 1 garlic clove finely chopped
* 3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
* 1 can reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
* 1 can reduced-fat reduced-sodium condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
* 1 can (10 ounces) diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
* 1 tbsp of chili powder
* 12 corn tortillas (6 inches) cut into 1 inch strips
* 2 cups reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
* Preheat oven to 350F
* In a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute the onion, peppers, and celery in oil until crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the chicken, soups, chili powder, and tomatoes.
* Line the bottom of a 3 qt baking dish with half of the tortilla strips and top with chicken mixture and 1 cup of cheese. Repeat layers. Bake uncovered at 350F for 30-35 minutes until bubbly.
Tips and Tricks:
* You can do all of your slicing and dicing of veggies and cook the chicken a few hours or day in advance to make throwing this meal together a breeze!