Monday, July 9, 2012

a fresh spot for our herbs...

PhotobucketLast year I posted here all about my adventures in herb gardening and thought I'd share the fresh new spin we've taken on that very subject around here...  In the past, we've always placed our herb garden (with the exception of rosemary - that goes in the ground because of its hardiness) in containers in our garden but this year we decided to add a window box under our kitchen window and store our herbs there (each in it's very own 6 inch pot).  My thinking was this....much easier access to the herbs - I can open the window and cut what I need and easier to water (again - just a little lean out the window with a small watering can).  My herb gardens have always needed a little more watering than those plants that get stuck in the ground but I've lost quite a few plants due to lack of watering.  So, I figured this would solve that problem and look cute under or kitchen window.  We have a deck right off our kitchen so the window box is about at waist level when out on the deck too.  I purchased our window box from pottery barn (waited for a free shipping promo, of course) and my husband was able to easily install it into the mortar of our brick in about a half hour...

7 comments:

Liz Mays said...

I like the idea of easy access!

Natalie said...

I did the same thing this year...had some herbs in boxes on my deck so I could access them easier :)

Anonymous said...

haha easy access would def make it easier :)

The Morrows said...

A window box would be so convenient! Smart idea.

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

What a great idea!! Every year I say I'm going to plant an herb garden and then never do.

Cajun Cowgirl said...

You and Natalie are my gardening heros! Love that you can reach out and pull some!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

great idea!! one of these days, I'll plant (and take care of ;)) an herb garden! :)