Wednesday, November 2, 2011

ROY G BIV

PhotobucketSo thanks to a little inspiration and motivation from Young House Love's Pinterest challenge...I decided to actually try to re-create one of the crafts I had so enthusiastically pinned on Pinterest last week!  While I wont be entering their Pinterest challenge...my little craft was just a start and doesn't hold a stick to all of the craftiness they and all those that enter have...I did want to share this fun little piece of Crayola wax artwork that I made for Addie's room.

SO, first I started with a few important items:
* Box of 48 Crayola crayons
* 11x14 canvas
* Double sided scotch tape glue gun
* Hairdryer
* Scrap paper for the mess

And here's the play-by-play of how it all went down:

I started by laying out my canvas and attempting to lay down the double sided tape on the canvas to adhere the crayons too.  Except...the tape wouldn't stick to the canvas so I scratched that idea and decided that a hot glue gun should do the trick.  While the glue gun heated up, I laid out all of the crayons and arranged them in the ROY G BIV order and threw out any weird crayon colors as well as the browns, blacks, and whites.  I ordered them up and one by one glued them to the canvas keeping them as straight as possible.
Photobucket
Next, I laid out some scrap paper and propped up the canvas against the wall.  I turned the hair dryer on full power at high heat and held over a section of crayons at a time until they started to melt (maybe 2-3 minutes per section).  Let this be your warning that the crayon wax flies everywhere if you aren't careful.  I also learned quickly that you can control the direction the wax flows by simply shifting the direction and location of your hair dryer.  And then ta-da - I was done.  The wax dries super fast and within minutes I had a fun piece of work worth hanging....well, maybe.
Photobucket


It's been awhile since I've posted much that was crafty, tasty, funny...or maybe even informative for that matter BUT...I think this counts. So, I'm linking up with Amanda's Weekend Bloggy Reading party to showcase my little DIY artwork.
Weekend Bloggy Reading

16 comments:

Samantha said...

OMG! I have this saved on Pinterest too!!! But I was scared it was too hard! This is awesome, great job :)

Michelle said...

That is awesome!!! Nice work!

Melissa at Tall Blonde Blog said...

I love it! I saw this too and was very curious! You go Momma!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Look at your crafty Momma! It looks great. Did you just want to make it or are you using it in a particular up and coming toddler room????? :)

I soooo need to get on that! I'm just indecisive about how I want to decorate.

Natalie said...

Wow how cool is that! I'm sure I would end up getting crayon wax everywhere knowing me!

Unknown said...

I would have NEVER thought to use a hair dryer...who know it melts crayons in minutes?! {Damn, what's it doing to my hair?? LOL}

I love it! I think it would be great to hang in a playroom or somewhere fun & I LOVE how the colors blended.

Great job, J!! :)

P.S. Wine night should totally be a craft night & no, L, is holding out on me about that wine. ;)

Christine Pettijohn said...

That looks cool. I like it and am going to have to try it.

Unknown said...

This is such a cool idea! What a cool craft!

Amber said...

LOVE this! I've been panicking trying to figure out what to put above the crib, and this is perfect! Thanks for sharing this!!

Kelli Kegley said...

Love it! You did a great job!

Annie said...

i LOVE this!!!! i must make one!! thanks for sharing! :)

Anonymous said...

Ive seen this on Pinterest and thought about doing it-so fun!

Our Happy Married Life... said...

This is awesome!!!!

Happiness Is... said...

That is really cool! I love it!

Lesley said...

So cute! I might need to try that soon! :)

jeands said...

the way you do it, it looks like so easy to do. I'm making a mental note to try this one day. It was pretty too!