Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Looking within...



As Addie's first birthday approaches I've been doing a lot of thinking about what I can do to be a better mom, a better wife, a better daughter, a better friend, a better person.  All of this thinking has led me to reach several conclusions...the most important of which is spending each day being me and the person I was raised to be and not the person I think people want me to be.  My life needs some simplifying and no one can do that for me.  I've found so much joy in my life and have truly been so lucky with the life I've been able to live, which makes it easy pretty easy to pick out those things that I need to change.  I've set my expectations for myself higher and here are the hight points (with a few quotes thrown in because someone else is always better at saying what I want to):

on being a better mom and wife - I've got to do a better job of leaving my stresses at the door and focusing all of my energy on my beautiful family that are the lights of my life.  They deserve 100% of me...not the crazy woman that walks through the door at 6pm.

on being a better daughter - Somewhere along the way I feel like I've lost my ability to show just how appreciative I am for everything my parents do for me....which is way more than any child could ever ask of their parents.




on being a better friend - I have some amazing and very special women in my life that deserve more from me than just a random phone call or a late return to a heartfelt email.  I often find myself giving more of myself to bad friends than those that are always there for me...that I take for granted.  My mom always told me that friendships are about "gives and takes" and "emotional deposits."  I've got to let go of those that continue to take and never return...and give more of me to those that are always there.

Source: None via the workaholic momma on Pinterest



on being a better person - I find myself sometimes judging people for what they do....which is totally out of synch with my "live and let live" motto.   It's not my business to judge how someone else chooses to live their life...whats it to me, anyways?!




And at the end of the day...this is really what matters:

14 comments:

Tami said...

Such a beautiful post! I think we all could use some reminders of just how good we we have it.

undomestic mama said...

Such a good post! It's nice to sit down a reflect every once in awhile, isn't it?

Melissa at Tall Blonde Blog said...

What a GREAT post!

Ashley said...

I love the last quote, very interesting!! I would like to spend my time with better quality with my family, instead of just trying to get a bunch of stuff done.

Unknown said...

This morning, Lis & I were talking about how much we miss you!!

xoxo

Natalie said...

Look at you being all inspiring...makes me want to be better too :)

sharon matthews said...

Right on!

Paige said...

love, love, love this post!

Kelli Kegley said...

Love this! The one that stuck out to me the most was the daughter role. My in laws do so much for us and I would love to do more for them. It's so easy to focus on our little family and forget those that help us be "us"!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

I so appreciate your honesty! Was reading the other night and came upon the suggestion to take some time and think about who you are and what you want to become. I need to get on that journaling!

Samantha said...

This post is awesome! It's such a great idea. I love the last one... I totally agree that we all need to live life to the fullest, because we don't get any of that time back. Very inspirational!

Unknown said...

Great, great post girl. As you know I struggle with a lot of things every day and I need to keep myself on track.

I have actually read your email about keeping my balance several times to remind me of the important things in life. Thank you again for the email because it is so true.

ashley said...

You just hit the nail on the head as to how I am feeling. It's crazy how out of touch you become with everything when you are living daily routine.

Hoping that you can get back to you and make the most of your time.

Anonymous said...

WOW what a wonderful post! Thanks for sharing