Friday, October 21, 2011

Quick, Easy, and OH-SO good

PhotobucketI'm no gourmet chef...my husband comes close but I'm more of a recipe girl.  I do well with baking because its pretty precise but I don't do well with those "little of this and little of that" recipes.  So...when I tell you this is quick and easy...trust me, it is.  Which is enough to make it a favorite in our house but when you throw in its amazing comfort food qualities...its a win-win in my book.  I should also admit that this has been a recipe my Grammy made and passed down to my mom so I have no idea what the name of it is...I just know its amazing!  So...here's how to make it happen:

First you'll need these few things:
* 2-3 chicken breasts
* Can of cream of chicken soup (plain or with herbs works great)
* Milk
* 1 stick of butter
* 2 cups of shredded swiss cheese
* 1 box of chicken stuffing (I'm a fan of Stove Top)
Photobucket
in case the visual is easier
Then you'll do this:
* Preheat your oven to 350
* Cut the chicken breasts into strips (or maybe just be smarter than me and buy tenderloins to start with) and layer on the bottom of the baking dish (I use a 9x9 stoneware baking dish)
* In a separate bowl, empty the cream of chicken soup and then re-fill can with milk and add to the bowl.  Mix with a wisk until well combined.
* Pour mixture over chicken
* Layer shredded swiss cheese over chicken mixture
* In a separate bowl, melt butter and then add stuffing to the bowl and mix together until stuffing is well coated.
* Place stuffing mixture on top of cheese
* Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through
* Remove aluminum foil and bake uncovered for 10 more minutes to crisp up the stuffing
* Let cool for about 5 minutes and serve!!
Photobucket
the finished product - pure delight
This also makes really good leftovers...if there are any!

J

16 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds right up my alley. I need some dinner ideas for next week. I will be adding this to my list. Thanks:)

Cajun Cowgirl said...

This looks fantastic! (and so easy!) Can't wait to try.

Samantha said...

I am a recipe girl too! This looks so easy and yummy... I am def gonna try it! Happy Friday :)

Natalie said...

Um YUMMY! You know I'm supposed to be cleaning my house for the party but I had to cheat and look when you had this blog title. This looks super yummy and easy! Thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!

Brittney said...

Random - I just put basically the same recipe in the crock pot! It is so good!

Happiness Is... said...

That looks SO good for a cold winter's day - yummmmmmm.

Beach Bum & Baby said...

YES!! I am so excited you posted this!!! BEST meal you have ever made in my opinion!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yum! This looks delicious! I think we definitely must have similar tastes on our food.

Anonymous said...

Yum! This looks delicious! I think we definitely must have similar tastes on our food.

Mrs EyeCanSee said...

I make something very similar except it has veggies in it too. One of the faves around our house!

-Lauren said...

Love one pot (or pan) dishes! Looks great, def gonna try it. Thanks!

Madison's Mommy said...

This is totally getting added to my menu for the upcoming weeks! LOVE a good and EASY one pot dish!

XOXO

Kate said...

It's called swiss stuffing chicken...one of my faves, too!

Anonymous said...

yum! that looks (and sounds) so delicious! the kitchen and i are sworn enemies! so i don't do well with recipes or whatnot... haha but this sounds like something i can do! :)

undomestic mama said...

I'm like you, I bake way better than I cook, but this looks delicious! I'll have to try it, thanks for posting.

Amy said...

I have a similar recipe that adds 8 oz of sour cream to the cream of chicken and milk mixture. And mine doesn't have the swiss cheese, but who doesn't love some added cheese :) I'm definitely going to give this one a try! I'm a horrible cook so I love easy recipes like this. Thanks for sharing :)