Monday, December 5, 2011

Modest Mondays

Photobucket
source
Anyone else feel like their wee one is constantly growing out of clothes you've just bought?!  There are so many things that Addie only wore once or sadly never even got to wear at all...just sitting in her closet with the tags still on.  I LOVE clothes...and shopping...which means I'm often tempted to buy lots and lots for Addie.  I'm constantly reminding myself of what she needs and what I need to pass on!  That being said, I do try to keep my impulse shopping to a minimum to keep those $$$s in check.  So, here are a few things I've found that seem to keep things a bit more reasonable:


1. Shop CLEARANCE - Well, duh?!  But, I never leave Target or any of my other favorite stores without at least perusing the sale racks to see if I can find something for a deal.  I am ALWAYS looking at least 2 sizes ahead and I just keep a drawer in Addie's room where I stow away all of her bigger stuff.

2.  eBay - I've found some wonderful deals on smocked, specialty items, and even "lot" purchases of Carters sleepers on eBay over the last year or so.  Its very easy to get caught up in bidding wars so my approach is simple - I bid the max amount I'm willing to pay and I don't check back until the auction is over.  Kids grow so fast but I'm always impressed with the condition of these clothes!  Also, as a side note - always check what the seller is charging for shipping - sometimes the price looks awesome until you realize the seller is charging you a hefty fee for shipping.

3. Consignment stores - I've done a bit of consignment sale shopping in my day and am pretty picky about the ones I will actually visit.  There is actually only one in my area that I will buy from for Addie because the others are cluttered and make me claustrophobic.  But, I've found some AMAZING deals at this little consignment shop and highly recommend checking any out that are in your area.

4. Zulily and other deal sites - If you're looking for smocking or other specialty clothing deals (generally at least 50% off), you should check Zulily on the regular.  And, if you use Ebates (which is awesome because you earn cash back on all of your online shopping and its FREE) you can earn 3.5% cash back on your Zulily purchase, which makes it even cheaper (or at least almost covers shipping:))  My only issue with Zulily is sssllllooowww shipping times...be prepared to wait 2 weeks or more to get your items.

5.  BJs, Sams, Costco - I find the best deals on Carters, which is my choice for Addie's play clothes and sleepers, at these warehouse clubs.  I can almost always count on getting these items for $3-4 cheaper than the best deal on the Carters website or in their stores (unless of course its on the clearance rack).  The standard price for sleepers and clothing sets is generally in the $6.99 - $7.99 range which I think is a great deal on this stuff and its the same items they are selling in their stores - its not even last season's stuff!

And here are a few others that I've never actually used but have heard wonderful things about:

6. Facebook - I'm actually not on Facebook...it's the only social media outlet I have not yet indulged in but there are some awesome deals on monogrammed items on the Monogram {Re}play page and I know lots of boutiques and specialty clothing stores will run facebook auctions to sell clothes quickly and for super cheap!

7. ThredUP - This is actually an online community where you sell and buy kids clothing in bulk.  You post a box of clothes (10 or more items) and when another mom in the community purchases it, you receive $10 and the buyer pays for shipping.  When you purchase a box, you pay $10.95 for shipping and $9 for the box.  So, basically if you're selling as many boxes as you're buying, you are only paying for shipping to receive a box of clothes.  For me, I haven't joined as I am holding on to the large majority of Addie's stuff in anticipation of more children down the road but this would be awesome if you aren't planning to hold on to your kiddos clothes.

And don't forget the blog sales;)

I'd love to hear of anything else you guys are doing to save money in this department..feel free to share in the comments below!!!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I am such a sucker for a good deal and do pretty much what you do with the Clearance in stores. I do like your idea of the max purchase on Ebay and just leave it until it ends. Either you win or you dont.

Hope you guys are doing great. I havent been able to check blogs recently and miss it. So hope all is well :)

Natalie said...

These are all great tips! I also got to Ross and Marshall's to find some clothes on sale. Sometimes I find some...sometimes not so much!

LOVE MELISSA:) said...

Great post and tips! I always am looking for great bargains. I am a huge Cosco fan!

Kelli Kegley said...

I buy all of Connor's clothes at a consignment sale that our area has twice a year. One for spring/summer, one for fall/winter. I also volunteer at it so that I can shop early. Two advantages to that: 1)I have already looked through everything and know what I want and 2) There is usually less than 50 people shopping with you! So much better than the 200+ when you shop with the public :)I usually go through and pick out things I like and then have round 1 elimination, round 2 elimination, etc. I love it! Janie and Jack sweater for $4?? Yes, please! I don't buy anything full price anymore because of this. Grandparents, on the other hand, are a different story. But that is their money, not mine! ha! Also, if I will go shop at the end of the season for the next season. That will get easier as Addi gets older and she stops growing soooo quickly!

Anonymous said...

Those are such great tips! We frequent Ross, Marshall's and TJ Maxx to check out good deals. But we find that the outlet mall near us, at the right times, with coupons etc, are just as good of a deal if not better!

Samantha said...

These are so great! I seriously feel like a huge failure if I don't get something at a discounted price... I pretty much forbid myself from paying full price!

Anonymous said...

Im glad to know Im not the only one that thinks that Morgan outgrows her clothes it seems like as soon as she gets in them:)

Ive never seen a BJ's but heard about it. It seems like we have very similar taste in shopping. I refuse to pay full price on items.

I also love to shop at Childrens Place they are always having great deals on clothes most times and I can almost always score a coupon if you sign up on their email list.