Monday, April 30, 2012

One man's trash...

IMG_7545
It's true....one's man trash is another man's treasure...and there simply is no better way to prove that point than to participate in a yard sale (and I've been a buyer and a seller so no judgies here).  Recently our little neighborhood hosted a community yard sale and seeing as though I always have stuff I can get rid of - my mom and I decided we would hoist all of our goodies to the curb and maybe make a few bucks and unload stuff we were no longer needing.  Plus...you have to admit - it's free humor - it takes all kinds to make this world go round.  But I thought I'd share a few of my favorites (things and peeps)....

The ginormous glass blown clown - It's true - it's always those items that you just think no one would ever want that sell first. Two years ago it was the hat box that my mom dug out of her garage...but this year it was the creepy glass-blown clown that sold second that had me shaking my head.  First...i should admit that I think clowns are really creepy (my daughter doesn't - that pic above is of another music box - type clown that my mom also brought to sell but Addie hasn't let out of her sight.  Needless to say, it never made it to the yard sale and is now in our house...any ideas on how to get rid of this thing without a melt down?!?!)...so a 1 1/2 foot tall glass blown clown is not my idea of art but apparently at $5 it was steal.  So much so, that a gentleman arrived - examined it and then proclaimed that he must call his wife (who was a few houses down at another yard sale) so she could make the final decision.  She arrived and promptly declared it was.  SCORE....creepy clown sold.

The hoarder - There are always those that come to your yard sale looking for broken gold jewelry, coins, broken watches, etc. (I get it...you want my gold for pennies so you can melt it and make dollar bills) but when this man arrived he asked for the following: "padlocks, kitchen timers, rotary dial phones, or maybe even an old measuring tape out of my grandmother's sewing box."  I laughed...in his face...I honestly thought he was making a joke of the whole weirdness about yard sale shoppers.  But he wasn't...he was serious - told me he really liked old stuff.  I pointed him to the antique end tables at the end of the drive and he told me he was "furnitured-out"....but in need of old stuff to put in that furniture.  I sent him away without anything....but seriously, he's got to be on an upcoming episode of Hoarders.

The 60 year old thug - Now seriously...I thought guys grew out of sagging their pants by at least 35...but apparently not.  This guy couldn't have been a day under 60...sporting long gray hair with a trucker cap that he was wearing backwards and had been cut up the middle, zipper down (I think I threw up in my mouth a little) and walking with a "pimp-limp."  He inquired of nothing actually for sale but instead the 5 gallon buckets in my garage...which were at least 15 feet away from the yard sale items I was selling.  He offered me a $1 for each one...which I really didn't think was a bad deal...but unfortunately mine were still full of paint...but really, who does that?!

The liar - I felt bad (but, not really)....so I had this huge framed print of a lady holding a martini glass with some Italian wording around it.  I didn't know what any of it meant so when this old man came inquiring....I couldn't answer him.  He explained...on his second visit back to my little sale....that he had been in WWII and fought in Italy and this poster reminded him of his time there.  I had placed an $8 tag on it but he wanted to know what my bottom dollar was.  I told him $5 and he pulled out his wallet....as he rifled through 5 or 6 singles (not to mention the $5 bill in his wallet too) he proclaimed that he only had 4 singles and wanted to know if I would be willing to take that.  No, $5 is my bottom price I explained...and he folded his wallet shut and told me that it just had some sentimental value and walked off.  Of course...no one else saw the wallet....my hubs was in awe that I would not sell the poor man the print that meant so much to him over $1.  Sorry, I won't be hustled...and he had the money.

I really wish I had pictures of these characters to share but alas, all I have is the creepy clown that Addie has apparently taken a liking too...

Happy Monday....

7 comments:

Mrs. Mama said...

haha, you NEVER fail to crack me up!

i request pictures of the rest... STAT.

Natalie said...

Sounds likes an interesting yard sale! I was just telling my husband there are some strange people out there...I see them all the time just doing weird things...I'm like what planet am I on?

Lindsey said...

Before I even read your post and saw your picture, I thought of the Emmett Kelley Clowns my mom used to collect. This looks like one.. and if it is, could be worth some $$! When I throw stuff out to sell, If someone even remotely looks interested, I tell them I will sell (and point to a group of clothes, etc.) together for a cheap price. All I want is a few $$ for them to haul off my crap!

Raven said...

you are SO mean. I can't BELIEVE you didn't let the poor guy have print. can't believe it....

haha just kidding!! I would have done the same thing. Good for you for not letting him play you.

and oh man, I agree that yard sales bring out some interesting peeps :)

Samantha said...

OMG i can't stand it! The Thug had me belly laughing!!!! Next yard sale, please set up a camera! Thank you ;) Who knows, you make more money on the video than anything else!

Kelli Kegley said...

You mean you don't want to base Addie's big girl room around that clown?!?! I love the people that are literally waiting for the sale to open or the ones that try to start shoppIng before its open! And you know they shop every single weekend! Bless!

Cajun Cowgirl said...

Hilarious! I want to host a yard sale just to join in on the fun!


Can't believe that guy lied like that. I probably would have sold him the dang thing. I'm too much of a "softie" like that!